Tuesday, July 15, 2014

This happened

The parking lot behind the hardware store was full--no spaces. I needed to get a fruit fly trap. Three cars were circling the narrow lot. In the middle of the lot there is a single row of 14 diagonal spaces that can be pulled into from either side. I counted while I was circling. 14 cars in 14 spaces. I was counting again when someone came out of the store, got in his car, started it. I pulled up to that spot. I could see another car on the other side of the space waiting, just like me. To vacate the space, the car backed toward him. I took the space. The man in the other waiting car pulled before me and gestured convulsively. His face became an ugly fulmination, a contorted scowling in the driver's side window of a mini-van. His anger was palpable. I got out of my car. I paused. I turned and said to him, "You know what? If you really want this spot, I'll give it to you." I waited for him to respond. His face was clenched. He waved me off. I went into the hardware store, bought my fruit fly trap, came back. I'd been inside the store maybe three minutes. He was still waiting. He looked relieved. I backed out so he could have the space. He took it. I waved to him. His relief faded back into a scowl. He didn't wave back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger