Thursday, June 07, 2007

So far, looks like it's just me and Dan

THIRTEEN
WRITING PROMPTS.
BY DAN WIENCEK


3.

Choose your favorite historical figure and imagine if he/she had been led to greatness by the promptings of an invisible imp living behind his or her right ear. Write a story from the point of view of this creature. Where did it come from? What are its goals? Use research to make your story as accurate as possible.

***
Favorite Historical Figure:
Herman Melville

Imp is from:
Nantucket

Imp's goals:
To understand whaling
To see the world

Story:
"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago--never mind how long
precisely--having little or no money in my purse, and nothing
particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a
little and see the watery part of the world....

"...The unharming sharks, they glided by as if
with padlocks on their mouths; the savage sea-hawks sailed with
sheathed beaks. On the second day, a sail drew near, nearer, and
picked me up at last. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in
her retracing search after her missing children, only found another
orphan."

Source:

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger