Monday, October 30, 2006

Taped Political Messages On My Answering Machine

Does any politician or campaign official actually believe that I listen to anything past the first five words of these unwanted solicitations? Sometimes I even manage to hit delete before I've heard four words. And I'm working to get quicker.

Does anybody listen to these taped messages? Sometimes if I make the mistake of answering the phone and it turns out to be one of these messages, I'll talk back to it, give it my list of demands, so to speak, but usually I get bored and hang up before either one of us completes our spiel.

Never fails, after I hang up, one of my kids always asks whom I was talking to, and I can honestly say, "Nobody."

Is this a metaphor for what representative democracy is becoming in the age of media?

4 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

I get the same messages, but they're from my dog. I don't understand why it's a Republican. It doesn't want to cut and run from the singing, attacking cats.

10/30/2006 9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I probably trust your dog more than I trust... well, you know.

P.S. You should take away his cell phone if he keeps pestering you.

10/30/2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger Glenn Ingersoll said...

When we got back from Hawaii there were something like 15 messages. Only two were not political. A few of them were live persons. But we erased them all as soon as we figured out that they were political. The drift of mailers (we have a door mailslot) made opening the front door difficult. They all went straight into the recycling. We will fill out our sample ballots tonight and vote tomorrow. Mailers & recordings on the answering machine? I don't find them helpful.

11/06/2006 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

11/06/2006 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger