Saturday, August 12, 2006

Got a line?

Yesterday, Don gave me a line to write a poem from. I'm struggling right now, but it's a good struggle. I came here now to give myself something else to work on and think about while the back of my brain, or the bottom, or wherever it is, works on the problems that Don's line has presented to me. Using Don's line, I'm trying to write a poem..., well, actually it doesn't matter. What matters is having some more lines to write from. Here, I'll supply four or five. Feel free to use them however. Of course, they're really not mine to give away anyway. But if you have a line or two within reach that you think might be a good poem starter, an idea to build on or argue with, an epigraph, or whatever, I wish you'd share.

I offer these to you (I'll probably try to use some of them, too):

"Thou art the sky and thou art the nest as well."
--Rabindranath Tagore



"Beauty is momentary in the mind"
--Wallace Stevens


"That word drama has been somewhat discredited of late."
--Balzac


"I do not cough for my own amusement"
--Jane Austen



"As I was floating down impassive rivers,
I no longer felt myself steered by the haulers"
--Rimbaud

4 Comments:

Blogger LKD said...

Well, the line at the top of this list is a humdinger. I'll be walking around with that handful of words inside of me for days to come. Not sure if I can fashion a poem from it or not. I just like how it feels in my head. (smile)

What's the line Don gave you? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Never did commit a still life sans fruit or a fuel poem to paper/computer.

Lately, I've bee happy writing poems in my head and just letting them go, dissipate like clouds.

8/13/2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger LKD said...

I like this line a helluva lot, too, which happens to be the last line from that passage by Tagore:

"There is no day nor night, nor form nor color, and never never a word."

Never, never a word.

8/13/2006 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Laurel, I like the Tagore line you've picked.

8/13/2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger Don said...

"If only mouthwash could talk."
Bill Knott

"All middle age invisible to us"
Anne Winters

"The public did not talk, did not cry, but oohoohed."
Henri Michaux

8/14/2006 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger