Saturday, May 13, 2006

Poetry about Food?

Glenn, in response to your question about Alimentum, the question in your comment on the previous post, on Alimentum's SUBMISSIONS page it says:

We're seeking fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry all around the subject of food. Ongoing submissions accepted via snail mail (include SASE). Five-poem limit on poetry submissions. We do not consider previously published work. Simultaneous submissions accepted. Please allow one to three months for response.

Alimentum
P.O. Box 776
New York, NY 10163

***

ON their ISSUES pages, it looks like they've only done two issues, I find two excerpts of poems about food. The first is:

From "How to Wolf a Cook" by Leslie McGrath

Prepare the mis en scene: lower the lights
and pour from her slim-necked carafe a half glass
of something chilled, astringent. Now let
your ravening gaze travel her nether-curves
as she spoons the stew or ladles the soup
into a shallow bowl and dresses it
with thyme she's torn from the stem.
You notice her thumbprint in the biscuit
as you bite down, a bit of gristle buried
in a chunk of lamb, the potatoes
neither raw nor soft, but to the tooth. . . .

***

The second is:

From "Tomato Garden" by Kerry Trautman

As I raised the first wedge to my lips,
I saw, in the pink flesh, a tiny worm,
mucously translucent and gold
curled still in his juicy home.

I forgave my tomato and ate the wedge
despite its worm, never tasting him,
so infused was he with juice,
so resigned was he to my tongue.

***

Glenn, I was thinking that Alimentum might like your poem about the baker, the one you were working on in plain view at your Lovesettlement blog.

I don't know yet what'll send so that they will be able to reject me, but I'm going to try to get a submission out to them before the end of the summer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Ingersoll said...

Wow. Ask and be answered! I guess I'll have to say I DID NOT PAY ENOUGH ATTENTION!

"her nether-curves"?

Oh. "The Baker"? I couldn't remember whether I came to a final version of that. I guess I did. Maybe. It seems to talk mostly about Words, though, rather than Food. But it'd be good for a rejection?

5/14/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Don said...

I was accepted by Alimentum. 3 poems actually. Maybe the editor's not as cranky as he seems?

6/27/2006 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a good writer, Don. It's hard to be cranky with good writers.

Maybe next time.

6/27/2006 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger